9.29.2006

Newly Obsessed with Baking Soda


...and vinegar. I have been cleaning my house with this stuff like mad! I feel so liberated from stinky Lysol and Windex! Ha! AND I am saving money. Double HA! It all started with the carpet in the kids' room. Filthy. What were we thinking laying white carpet. Well, not white-white, more like semi-off-white...but still. The carpet was doing tolerably until the diaper-rash-cream-baptism-event courtesy of my little Tabitha. It never recovered. Desitin. Oil-based and deadly. The carpet became a magnet for dirt. The soap I had used to try and clean it (Dawn...hey, it cuts grease on dishes?? creatvity points, anyone?) also attracted dirt like a magnet, but miraculously, it attracted a slightly different shade of dirt. So you could clearly see where the mess was, as well as where I had attempted to clean it up. Did I mention this is the section of the carpet right by the doorway? So yeah, people were probably afraid to let their kids play on our floor, for fear that the carpet might EAT them. Fast forward about two years. Enter baking soda (and vinegar). Bye bye Desitin! So, I wondered to myself as I perused the back label of the 5 pound bag of baking soda I just got at Sam's...what else can this miracle powder do? Basically, I have decided, baking soda does for my house what the internet did for computers. And, I learned a fabulous little trick with vinegar that caused me to spontaneously throw away my Windex and Squeegee forever. 1/4 cup vinegar plus one cup of water plus one empty spray bottle. Add newspaper and the bathroom mirror. You know the one...that large streaky monster that you hate to clean because you end up squatting halfway on the countertop with one foot in the sink (which you now have to re-clean) and still, STILL it looks streaky and fudgy after you are finished. But you try again each week. That was me. Now I am doing the happy dance on Thursday when the free edition of the Watkinsville newspaper comes to my mailbox. Yah-hoo!

1 comment:

Mrs. Cowan said...

Taylor: My sister introduced me to this great tip, and I am never without either in my house. It cleans dishes, scrubs bathtubs, cleans nasty floors, baking soda alone even cleans hunting clothes without leaving a "human" scent behind (I'm married to a hunter); however, it doesn't get acrylic paint out of carpet (I'm also married to an artist. Uh, same man, not two husbands)