1.18.2006

January is Time to Organize

Things to do, things to do! I am so aware of all the possibilities available to devote my time to. They increase exponentially as time passes, I suppose. My struggle is to do what God has called me to, even if it's not my choice and even if it may appear peripheral to what I consider my "life" i.e. my priorities. Persevering in prayer is definitely one of those areas. It seems so often to be a take-it-or-leave-it category to my day. Lord, change my heart! Proverbs 31:1-2 in particular comes to my mind:


The words of King Lemuel. An oracle that his mother taught him:
What are you doing, my son? What are you doing, son of my womb? What are you doing, son of my vows?


The implication of this verse is the praying "vows" of the mother. I am called as the Proverbs 31 woman to be in prayer for my children. It teaches me that relying on my own wit, intuition, strength and creativity simply will not do. I NEED God's help, his wisdom, his will revealed, his power as my only true hope for success in parenting my kids. How easily I forget my needs in the midst of their sin. I am so quick to "handle it myself" and not pause to ask for help from my heavenly Father. But not only that, I need to be interceding for my kids. Asking the Lord to help them, strengthen them, draw their tender hearts to himself, to bless them, and encourage them (through me and their dad primarily).

Aside from devoting some time each day to this task (not to mention all the times I cry out in the moment of need, Lord HELP!) there are other ways I am seeking to grow. I am reading a book by Elisabeth Elliot called Keep a Quiet Heart, which really has helped to adjust my perspective about seeing the interruptions of my day as work that God has called me to, instead of mere inconveniences. Not just in terms of these times being oppurtunities to exercise patience, grace, etc. but moreso along the lines of this being what I am to be about, in spite of my notions about what is an important or noteworthy task. Seeing my day as the Lord's and not my own, and cheerfully moving through it with this perspective will do my heart a world of good. I do earnestly desire such a quiet heart!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I just finished this book last week (after about 2 years of reading it bit by bit, LOL) and am starting it again this week. You will be blessed by the truths it holds!