4.03.2006

Caution: New Season Ahead




Well, I just returned from the Ladies' Retreat called Encounter 2006. It featured speakers Carolyn Mahaney (visit her blog here) and Carolyn McCulley (author of Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye?). If you are interested, I had the privilege of "live-blogging" the event along with my friend Sherri (read her blog here). The messages are all posted on her website. Certainly the more disorganized notes are the sessions I worked on, so apologies. Now, the burning question on anyone's mind who has read this far is most likely, what is the new season ahead? But I do have to talk about a couple of things first, before I get to me. :-) One of the highlights of our retreat was this. Our dear pastor's wife, Darby, did an excellent job of preparing in advance to bless the ladies who went on the retreat. She divided the names of all attending from our church and had some of the ladies assigned to pray for each. In addition, she asked that we who prayed would also write a note of encouragement and give a small gift to secretly place on their pillows in the hotel when we arrived. Of course, Darby "forgot" to put her own name on the list of ladies, so some of us figured that out and decided to take matters into our own hands. It was so exciting to put together a gift basket for her and suprise her with it on the trip. As a testimony to how much she means to our ladies, there was so much money given towards the basket that we ran out of ideas for what to give her, and ended up using the money to buy her dinner out the night we gave the gift. She is a precious blessing to our church and I am amazed by God's Sovereign grace in place her among our church body. We love you Darby!!!

And ok. so I had this list of things to do. And really we were encouraged on the ladies' retreat not to try and apply everything that we heard, but rather to choose one thing and seek to change in that area. Well I do have my one thing. But I got home from the retreat and, as expected, my kids and husband were all very glad to see me (trust me the feeling was mutual). The house looked, well, it looked like people had been living in it for a few days without me around to clean up. Also, as expected. Plus, I had picked up something icky while away. My kids both have colds, and JM has some kind of throat thing. So, not only do I have mother-starved kids, they are also sick kids, which makes them extra EXTRA clingy. I also have a husband who is sick, and we know how men act when they get sick. A mountain of laundry, a dirty house, plus all of the regular duties of the week. So. Want to hear what my one thing was? Contentment in any situation. :-) So far, by God's grace, I haven't had a meltdown. The passage in Peter keeps coming to mind.


As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies--in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. (1Pe 4:10-12)


I have been given a gift in the teachings of the weekend, and the break from the routine of daily life. Now I am to use this gift to serve my family...and serve by the strength God supplies. This is easier to claim on a day like today when I don't feel so well. And God can use this(?!), my dirty house and tired children, to glorify Himself. Wow! Finally, though I would not call this truly a "fiery trial" proper, I am so aware that 899 other women most likely came home to similar dirty houses, and I imagine a good number came home to sick kids. These are certainly common things, and again, the idea that the Lord could be glorified in the mundane hours of my Monday is astounding. And my agenda for the day? Well, the list has transformed from this:

1. Laundry
2. Grocery shopping
3. Bank
4. Meal Calendar for April
5. Plant out seedlings
6. Clean out leftovers
7. Bake Bread
8. Update Finances/Budget

to this:

1. Seek the Lord
2. Serve my kids
3. Leave the house fairly dirty

1 comment:

faith ann raider said...

Dear Taylor,
Thanks so much for this post! I was encouraged by that passage in 1 Peter which you quoted, especially to not be surprised by the "firey trial", even what that trial is just the sacrifice of our time and comfort.
My husband was just reminding me yesterday that if we are begining to learn that God is strong - prepare to feel weak, and if we are learning that God fills our needs - prepare to be keenly aware of your neediness etc. It sounds like God is really testing what he planted in you during the women's conference!
I am so grateful for like-minded women like you in the blogsphere...