6.27.2006

Thanksgiving

God is continuing to work on my heart in terms of giving thanks to Him. My step-mom would often call me "ungrateful" when I was younger. Most of the time I didn't care when she said it (to my shame). But as my heart is informed by Scripture, I am starting to call myself ungrateful. How often are two things mentioned beside thanksgiving in Scripture: prayer and obedience. I feel that I cannot grow well in these two areas without first addressing my lack of thankfulness towards my Savior. Even though I could maintain (perhaps) a general demeanor of gratitude based on my desire to serve the Lord, etc. ( This is by the way, the excuse my husband uses when he takes his first bite of a meal before we have prayed. "I maintain a constant state of thankfulness", I believe is a direct quote.) , it is still mandated in Scripture to pray with thanksgiving, most often when we are commanded to pray without ceasing. I know that kind of thanksgiving (as well as that kind of prayer) doesn't just happen. It requires cultivation. Am I pursuing thankfulness the way I pursue other things of the Lord? I certainly want to grow in this area.

No comments: